Recipe: Strawberry Cupcakesby
FOR THE FROSTING:
- ½ cup almond flour (from blanched almonds)
- ½ pound strawberries (about 1½ cups) (see note)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ pound strawberries (about 1½ cups)
- ¾ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1¼ cups oat flour
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 6 strawberries for decoration
Perfect for Valentine’s Day or anytime you’re in the mood for a treat … and you can have a lot of fun decorating them!
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tray with paper liners.
2. Purée the strawberries for both the wet mix and the frosting in a blender. Use a strainer to remove the seeds.
3. To make the frosting, place the 1 cup of the strawberry purée, the maple syrup, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on low heat, until the sauce has reduced by third.
4. Transfer the sauce to a bowl to cool. Mix in the almond flour and let stand for about 30 minutes. Transfer back to the blender and blend into a creamy frosting. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. To make the wet mix, place the plant milk, flaxseeds, and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
6. To make the dry mix, place the oat flour, sorghum flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. If needed, sift through a sieve to ensure a thorough mixture.
7. Add the almond butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and the remaining 1 cup of the strawberry purée to the bowl with the wet mix. Stir well, and pour into the bowl with the dry mix. Stir well but gently.
8. Spoon the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
9. Remove the tray from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Frost each cupcake using a spatula, or decorate using a pastry bag and tip. Top each with a half strawberry. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
You can use frozen strawberries if fresh ones are not available, but the fresh berries will give the cupcakes and the frosting a better taste and texture.
Submitted by Vickie Hadge
Send your recipes to OurTolland.org